Sunday, November 05, 2006

Clowns, evil.

Right, the developing of our main project is coming on a fair bit so I’m putting my initial thoughts on here. Check it:

Clown.

This is the script I have chosen to develop into a film as part of my main project on my direction course. I actually found myself deciding quite quickly as I looked at each script as an animator. Of course, this isn’t part of the brief but it is how I’ll be producing the script.

Clown appealed to me because of the visual aspects of it. While reading the script, it was easy to visualise each scene in my mind. Furthermore, the story itself has dark undertones that the others didn’t. At least, none that could see. As we’ve already found out, I like keeping things dark and depressing. Though it’ll be pretty interesting to see if I can’t work some dark humour into it. Or out of it.

Principally, the story features 3 characters. The Harlequin, the Compere and the audience, with the audience not having any more distinction than the group it is. At the first half of the story we see the Harlequin on stage trying to entertain the audience. However, as his act develops it appears though the Harlequin has lost his love for his job. The act soon dies to the dismay of the Compere. The story finishes with the Compere roasting the Harlequin for his poor performance. He eventually sacks the Harlequin.

My feeling for the ending could have more closure. I’ll probably work something out. Other than that I can’t see any changes I want to make. I’ll develop the characters when my storyboards look more complete. For example, I’ve made the Harlequin a male, the script doesn’t give a sex to the figure. This is because I’m already aware of who will do the voice acting of this character. The audience will be as far removed from character as I can get them. I don’t want to complicate things by taking the focus off of the two other characters. Plus, this decision should add to the cold reception that the harlequin gets from them.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger joolsayodeji said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:47 pm  
Blogger joolsayodeji said...

far removed means what?? have you seen Scorsese' King of Comedy?" that i seem to remember has a interesting treatment of the audience, especially when pupkin is doing his act. maybe try to see Hoffman in "Lenny".

12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home