Friday, October 12, 2007

Introducing: Me, Mothy & The Bear



Now this I *am* happy with. A first on Bloggimus Time? Me? Happy with some work!? Well, almost.

Me, Mothy & The Bear was a story I wrote aaages ago for a blog on MySpace. I put it on here but I screwed up the html so it is missing parts. For the complete version go to my MySpace blog page.

Like I've said on numerous occasions here and elsewhere, this is something I've always wanted to do. I love narrative and I like to explore ways that it can be shown to an audience. As such, I've a soft spot for rostrum camera work and children's picture book stories like that seen in Jackanory. So this was my take on the style.

When I wrote the story of Me, Mothy & The Bear, I envisioned it in still frames. Wanting to make some sort of video of it, I guess there was only one way it would turn out. And I'm pleased with the results.

Well, not totally. There could have been a better effort made to make the sound levels better. There are a few times when my voice gets drowned out by the background music. Also, maybe I could have considered a better voice actor? My Potteries tone probably do the animation a disservice. Finally, being inspired by Jackanory, maybe I could have a cut away shots of the real me, reading a book? Time put paid to that anyway.

My favourite parts of the final product? I really like the drawn style I made, it is very honest to my work. I impressed myself with the shadows and lighting I created. The process was easy enough; after scanning in the hand-drawn images and colouring them in Photoshop, I used the pen tool to make black, angular shapes which I altered the opacity of.

Having said that, I did the same in Clown but better since it was animated. Yet I didn't mention it last post. That probably says more about my feelings of each piece in some way.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

your a genius!! im gona tell my grandkids that story!! x

4:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home