Monday, December 10, 2007

Ars moriendi.

Holla holla holla! Having dropped '07 projects like bad habits I'm now looking to the future. Before I do a quick note: I'm going to offer insight to my upcoming client and research project in another blog post later. I still haven't put my storyboard project up on here yet so expect that first. So maybe I'm not looking forward to the future after all. ACCURSED!

But I haven't posted on here to talk about contradictions, no. I've come to talk about my portfolio. It forms part of my Personal Development Plan (PDP) required of the uni so it's important I show some working here. So, what have I planned?

Well, it'd be nice to do something creative with my portfolio. Rather than a plain folder, I thought I'd make something around the idea of a skull. Turns out, I use skulls in some fashion quite a lot. In clothes, footwear, candles... Actually, I'm sure I've talked about my skull-love before on this blog? Reading back, it seems there is intermittent commentary on skulls and death. Oh, check out a starring roll in After Death for further usage.

The skull-love is all over my work like skin on a skull (see what I did there?) so a skull-shaped portfolio probably makes sense. Probably. Okay, to further reinforce the use of a skull I'll discuss my feelings on them.

Firstly, the symbolism of a skull is extremely strong. It can represent life, death and the afterlife. It instills a natural danger in people yet it can define the natural beauty of the human form and evolution. In an artistic sense, it's lines and forms are crafted with an organic finesse unique to nature.

Secondly, they're damn cool. Especially when they're on fire.

I've looked at a few arts, articles and artifacts skull related and I've turned up some good stuff. Danse Macabre, scenes in Hamlet, Memento mori have proved interesting. They appealed to me in the way that each used death as a form of art, symbolism and/or expression. However, in the dust of all this high art, there is a character in the not-so-great videogame series, Street Fighter EX, called Skullomania. There is plenty of backstory to Skullomania, presumably Skullo to fans, but it isn't too important. What is important is this cool video I found on YoubasTubebas. It's a video of Skullomania doing his special combination move: Skullo Dream (Awesome name.) The move itself is a bit absurd; quick, successive cuts of each attacks impact. As the game series as gone on, the Skullo Dream has become increasingly bizarre; featuring sitting down for green tea amongst other none-fightlike things. Which blows my mind a bit. In good way.

Anyway, the video is notable for the excellent sound track choice. It isn't the game's original soundtrack but Justice's Phantom Part II. Which is an awesome shout out. So I doth my cap to the video's author. Here's it is:



I'm feeling a little troubled that I enjoyed something a bit more trashy than the other art work I explored before but, hey, I guess a Street Fighter reference is closer to my heart. The move's gag feels kind of neo-alternative too. I'm not entirely confident that Japanese humor has been explored much in western media. So it is interesting in a sense to take new ideas from it. Obviously, there are examples but not as many as there could be. Maybe I'll look into this.

Until next time, dear reader, keep them Skullo Dreams alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home